What you put in, you'll get back ten fold
***** THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO THE SITE AND HELPING YOU,OTHERWISE IT CLOSES AND ALL THIS ON LINE GARAGE IS GONE FOR GOOD*****

Greetings and welcome to menders, this site was built for every owner that might need her to help keep those bills low and also keep them on the road where they belong, she is run by very passionate enthusiasts owners for passionate enthusiastic owners, see her like a on line garage, there is a lot of tech stuff hopefully explained for everyone to use, if there is something you cannot get your head around, or you feel that there is a strong walk through guide missing that needs creating by one of us or from yourselves, please let us know, we are also on false book and youtube, which as short tech vids to help, and again if you feel there is a vid that would help please get it touch.
the menders is free, but like everything there is a cost to run things and bills( we are just happy its not a heating cost), so if we have saved you hundreds, please throw a small donation in the pot so we can keep on going to carry on helping others in the same way .

*** we are currently looking for a sponsor for this year, so if you have the passion and can see this sites worth to everyone , please get in touch and step forward to help***

And thank heavens that we are now on the way back up the brighter ,warmer longer days, "come on summer", and lets see those project builds.

M-m

Winter Storage

This is the section to see what is hidding behind those panels, and how to get rid of the tin worm, cutting out and welding in fresh metal, protection and paint.
Walkerselfaro
New

Winter Storage

Postby Walkerselfaro » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:47 pm

Does anyone have any tips / advice on storing a MK1 over winter? She'll be in a garage but it isn't heated and I do plan to run the engine up to temperature every couple of weeks.

Cheers
flea
Moderator Wannabe

Re: Winter Storage

Postby flea » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:59 pm

Depends how deep you want to go really. On blocks so she's not sitting on her springs. Leave the windows slightly open. Release the roof catches. If it was me I'd probably lube all the rubber bits below deck & all the hinges & suchlike. I'm sure others will think of some thing else too
Eunos 1.6 special 1989 with a few added extras
Eunos 1991 1.6
Eunos 1990 1.6 project
Mk2 1999 1.8
blackyb

Postby blackyb » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:13 pm

flea wrote:Depends how deep you want to go really. On blocks so she's not sitting on her springs. Leave the windows slightly open. Release the roof catches. If it was me I'd probably lube all the rubber bits below deck & all the hinges & suchlike. I'm sure others will think of some thing else too

Much as Flea says, but if you don't intend to drive it at all on blocks not only takes the weight off the springs, its helps save the tyres as well.
1993 1.6 Eunos Roadster (gone)
1998 UK Mk 2 1.6 (gone)
2003 1.8 SVT Sport (shouldnt have sold it)
1991 1.6 Eunos Roadster with a bit of bling.

Life is a journey, best travelled topless in an MX5!!
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:55 pm

Silicone spray from hellfrauds couple of tins, spray ALL rubbers, ALL hinges(hood also and if a MK1 HL lid cover hinges and motor knuckle joints) and locks /window mechs etc, in the engine bay, handbrake off and on axle stands if poss to stop the tyres getting flat spots, when you kick her over switch o the side lights to give the alternator something to work for,heater on and get a couple of damp trap catchers from the £1 shops for inside and the boot, while running bring the windows up and down a good couple of times, also IF she as AC kick it in to keep everything lubed up in the lines, disconnect the battery when not in use.
M-m
The Disclaimer:-
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

Mk 1 Eunos 93 black V.S II 1.8 ,
Mk 2 .1/4 Roadster 99 black & gold V.S 1.8 .
Mk 1 Eunos 90 1.6 soul red ..f/ build
MK 2.1/4 Blue V.S Roadster 1.8 99 ..
MK1 1.8 ,white import.. (Ashleighs)
MK1 1.6 yellow J ltd import.f/build
MK 1 1.8 black Tokyo Ltd..f/build

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
flea
Moderator Wannabe

Postby flea » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:00 pm

Ha ha..........Told ya
Eunos 1.6 special 1989 with a few added extras
Eunos 1991 1.6
Eunos 1990 1.6 project
Mk2 1999 1.8
Jetmech
Just Run In

Postby Jetmech » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:25 pm

All good advice I am sure.
For what it's worth, I have a car that is not used between Oct and April, it has been that way since 1989. I lift the wipers off the screen with blocks of wood under the arms and cover the car with 2 old blankets. Apart from that that nothing else, if I remember I will run the engine a couple of times during the lay up. So far this policy hasn't caused any issues. Our MX5 will get the same treatment this year, although there are quite a few mechanical jobs to attend to on the Mazda over the winter, so it wont be completely abandoned.

Simon.
Simon.
NB California
Walkerselfaro
New

Postby Walkerselfaro » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:21 pm

Guys

Thanks for all of the replies and this is pretty much what I had planned. I Can't raise the car though as I will need access so planned on pumping the tyres up pretty hard to help reduce flat spotting.
Lazza
Site Admin

Postby Lazza » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:03 am

Park it on some carpet or something. Old car mats are good. Helps to prevent the tyres drying & cracking :wink:
Lazza

2001 Mk2.5 MX5 1.8 Sport
Hard Dog Deuce
GAZ Gold Pro
Mk3 seats
17” OZ Racing Superturissmo wheels (for the toad)
15” Rota Circuit 10 wheels (for track use)

Return to “General Body shop”