What you put in, you'll get back ten fold
***** THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO THE SITE AND HELPING YOU,OTHERWISE IT CLOSES AND ALL THIS ON LINE GARAGE IS GONE FOR GOOD*****

Greetings and welcome to menders, this site was built for every owner that might need her to help keep those bills low and also keep them on the road where they belong, she is run by very passionate enthusiasts owners for passionate enthusiastic owners, see her like a on line garage, there is a lot of tech stuff hopefully explained for everyone to use, if there is something you cannot get your head around, or you feel that there is a strong walk through guide missing that needs creating by one of us or from yourselves, please let us know, we are also on false book and youtube, which as short tech vids to help, and again if you feel there is a vid that would help please get it touch.
the menders is free, but like everything there is a cost to run things and bills( we are just happy its not a heating cost), so if we have saved you hundreds, please throw a small donation in the pot so we can keep on going to carry on helping others in the same way .

*** we are currently looking for a sponsor for this year, so if you have the passion and can see this sites worth to everyone , please get in touch and step forward to help***

And thank heavens that we are now on the way back up the brighter ,warmer longer days, "come on summer", and lets see those project builds.

M-m

Hoodedreeper's Mk1 The Purple Monster

A place for members to show off their pride and joy. Also room to document your projects.
hoodedreeper
Regular

Re: Hoodedreeper's Mk1 The Purple Monster

Postby hoodedreeper » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:42 pm

Today is 2 years since i took ownership of the car,what a crazy 2 years thats been!

Finally got my personal number plate transfered onto the car (i know the front plate is wonky,i need to adjust the bracket)

Last Sunday i attended the MX5 National Rally

hoodedreeper
Regular

Postby hoodedreeper » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:42 pm

Updates seem to be few and far between at the moment. Last month i celebrated 5yrs with Ms. Reeper (not married,yet...) took her to a surprise few days away to London which soaked up alot of money. (If anyone is interested,my photos from the trip can be seen here https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 756&type=3)

I've also been upgrading my photography equipment,again that hasn't been cheap either,but i've still been doing bits and pieces to the Monster

Shortly after the MX5 National Rally at Kelmarsh Hall was JAE at Newark Park. JAE is regarded as a the LARGEST japanese car show in the UK,and being a 4 day show,its a cracking weekend!

I won't bore you with photos,here's one from Heavy Set

Link to my photos can be seen here https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 756&type=3

Got myself another set of number plates,this time single line,which is alot better!

Practiced some light painting too,although it isn't perfect it didn't come out too bad

You may remember awhile back i relocated the Air Filter to behind the headlight. This gave great cold air to the filter,but the longer pipe work really made the car hesitate when pulling away and at lower revs. So i moved it back to the bulk head and quickly fabricated a heat shield that runs along side the charger

Received this month's issue of the MX5OC Hard Top Soft Top Magazine to find the Monster got a cheeky little write up

Ever since my track day back in March i've had the Sparco Sprint V bucket seat and OMP 4pt 3" webbing harness kicking about,so i slung it in the car for now along with my D1 snap off boss. Its weird how much a bucket seat and harness can drastically change the feel of the car,but now the wheel was faaar too close. Infact the bottom of the wheel was just brushing the tops of my legs.

So i ordered a NRG Slim Hub and promptly got it fitted

hoodedreeper
Regular

Postby hoodedreeper » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:45 pm

Jass Performance has just launched a new Upper Shift Boot,would be rude not to order one

Received another order from RevLimiter,this time retro inspired Horn Button and Oil Cap

The next installment is what i've been waiting to order for a long time,and i know it's going to have alot of mixed opinions

Garage Star Wing Stands with a Megan Racing Wing :D

The spoiler is just mocked up at the moment,need brackets making as the Wing is wider than the stands. Its on its highest mount point,i'll be bringing it down a little bit to make it more in line with the roof. I'll be making a diffuser while the bumper is off,makes sense as i've got the access at the moment.

I've also got a spare bumper to trial cut before i cut mine :)

Once the back is finished,i'll then start on the front :)
hoodedreeper
Regular

Postby hoodedreeper » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:59 pm

The back end is finally finished after dodging the poor weather for what seems like weeks on end.

It seemed this was going to certainly test my patience,and it did. What ever i done,another problem would arise,but i got there in the end.

By no means is it perfect and/or functional,but i like it :) The wing stands could have done with being lower,but that would have meant cutting the bumper for about the 5th time,and it would have gone all the way to the bottom. I wasn't keen on the idea of the centre part only being held together with a small area of plastic at the very top.

But i guess beggers can't be choosers...onto the photos!

Just waiting for a couple of parts and i can get the cables fitted inbetween the wing stands. Then its time to remove the front bumper ready to make the DIY splitter and canards :)
hoodedreeper
Regular

Postby hoodedreeper » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:24 pm

Received the second package from Garage Star,this time a pair of door bushings and a Thermostat sandwich plate.

Got the door bushings fitted. The doors definately have that nicer shut noise,but on the odd occasion they need a firmer push to shut them. I guess in time they'll wear abit and it wont happen so much.

Over the past week or so i've been busy making more DIY parts for the car. I first started with another sheet of Dibond and made the front splitter,followed by some front Canards out of some thin aluminium (it may be too thin,but will see how i get on)

I decided to curve the splitter into the corners of the bumper rather than having it the same width all the way around. Made some brackets from some 25x2mm steel plate and mounted to where the OEM undertray bolts to (i used the front stud).

I originally left the centre of the splitter and used the two threaded parts on the bottom of the intercooler to mount it,but this pulled the splitter down leaving a gap underneath the bumper. So i cut the a section out of the middle so the intercooler fit snug-ish and made some brackets (will need to re-do them at some point as they're not the prettiest). Lastly i used a couple of adjustable turnbuckle rods for the centre.

I have noticed the splitter has pulled over to the passenger side since re-fitting the bumper. I'll get it up on a ramp and see if i can pull it across. It was a very very snug fit fitting the bumper back on,hopefully theres enough give in the brackets (once slackened off) to move it back across.

Next was fitting some tension cables to the wing stands. I used some 4mm wire cable with some 6mm clamps and eyelet bolts. Its definitely made a difference,its not swaying from side to side as i'm driving now :)

I haven't had the chance to drive it 'properly' yet due to all the rain we've had recently. From what i have driven it,it does feel more stable and the front hasnt gotten much lift (from what i can tell)

After taking the above photos,i notice how badly i need to adjust the suspension,another thing on my to-do list :)
hoodedreeper
Regular

Postby hoodedreeper » Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:55 pm

Finally got round to adjusting the coilovers (lowered the front 10mm and raised the rear 5mm). The Works were catching on the rear arches,rather than fitting new tyres (going from a 205/50 to a 195/50) it was easier to raise it.
So the Works went back on the car to test for clearance and so far no issues

** I am aware the tyres are fitted incorrectly,the wheels will be coming off again soon for a good clean and a coat of wax **

The rear diffuser will be removed shortly,i've got another one coming :)

After taking the photos,i noticed i need to adjust the turnbuckle rods on the front splitter,as its pulling up on one side

I really need to clean the car lol
hoodedreeper
Regular

Postby hoodedreeper » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:44 pm

My other half bought me a new steering wheel for Christmas,was a good excuse to order some new bolts too

Just before Christmas i headed over to a local company that sells spares and performance parts for Lotus. I guess a perk of where i live is the Lotus factory isn't too far either. I asked to look at their available diffusers as i wasn't 100% happy with the DIY one i had made. So i drove away with their GT3 diffuser,just so happens to be the largest diffuser they do.

Before i get told a million times about the placement/angle of the diffuser,i know it needs to be angled up more to be effective. The people of Facebook have already kindly shouted this at me many times already

As i've said in the previous posts,i hold my hands up to the Aero not being functional,and that it is mainly for aesthetics

I've also rounded the corners off the Garage Star Wing Stands and had them powder coated Gloss Black

I've also re-made the Wing>Wing Stand brackets to tilt it abit more (for those extra scene points yO)

Two track days booked,one at the Lotus Test Track in February and then my local Track Snetterton in April
hoodedreeper
Regular

Postby hoodedreeper » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:46 pm

While out driving i noticed some steam coming from the front of the car,originally thinking it was the car in front being abit smokey. After some inspection it was the hose coming off the Water Pump,i knew it was close to the manifold,but didnt realise it was touching. I've been lucky as its been like this for quite awhile and never had any issues.

Ordered a new hose and found out that the metal tubing from a vacuum cleaner is the exact same size! Sorted

You may remember Adam at RevLimiter making me some bespoke gauges with a Purple Monster logo and purple diamond stitch in the backgorund. I asked him if he could make me some for my AEM gauges. I sent over some templates and he's done an incredible job as always!

A week or so ago i met up with a few MX5 owners for our monthly midnight meet. Took the camera with me,would have been rude not to take some photos of the 'ol gal

I do my best to keep on top of things,but sadly one thing that has always been neglected and thats the Coilovers. I've never cleaned them,never greased them or serviced them. When i adjusted them a month or so ago,i think i've buggered up the pre-load and it knocks on the passenger side. Good excuse to buy some news one 'ey?

These will be fitted this week (weather depending). Will bed them in and get it laser aligned along with some new alignment bolts
hoodedreeper
Regular

Postby hoodedreeper » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:57 pm

Small update

I finally got round to replacing the front Rota RKR 8js for some 9js

The HSDs got bedded in,new RKRs fitted and then a full geometry done

I've got the car booked in next week for a new exhaust back box to be made along with some other bits and pieces i've done,but i'll save those for the next update
hoodedreeper
Regular

Postby hoodedreeper » Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:13 pm

Oh i forgot to add that i received my photos from the track day at Lotus Test Track. I'm not happy with the quality of the images,tried to improved them with Adobe Lightroom but when the original image is bad,theres not much you can do.

hoodedreeper
Regular

Postby hoodedreeper » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:35 pm

Made some new Canards,this time out of 2mm aluminium and 2mm steel for the brackets (previous ones were 0.8 aluminium for both). Made them abit bigger too,now i need to re-do the splitter and make that bigger too haha

Had a change around with the hard top screen and purchased some slap stickers. Either the stickers are bigger than i thought or the screen is alot smaller than i thought,or both lol

I got my friend Jack from J's Garage to fabricate a new exhaust,as the previous one was hidden and looked crap with the diffuser

And a short video,its quite echoey,will sort out a better video at a later date

hoodedreeper
Regular

Postby hoodedreeper » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:48 pm

As of late i haven't been washing the car as often as i'd like to. So took the opportunity to give it a once over and get some recent photos

I stupidly reversed into a curb and bent the diffuser. Next job is to remove it and cut the middle fins down to prevent it happening again
storm
Site Admin

Postby storm » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:20 pm

I've seen many cars built in my time, but they all failed on attention to detail. The purple monster is nothing like them. I love this car!
1. A car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, 2. Resale wont save your life in an accident, 3. Genius has limits, stupidity has none, 4. Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level & beat you with experience, 5. Growing old beats the alternative -- dying young!
hoodedreeper
Regular

Postby hoodedreeper » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:56 pm

A couple of months ago i got chatting to YasidDesign about an illustration of the MX5. I wanted something touge related to take the car back to its roots,but with its current appearance.

Finally got round to shortening the centre fins on the diffuser,haven't hit anything since haha

Recently got the car all cleaned up ready for the MX5 Spring Rally at Wentworth House. A big thank you to Stuart at Auto-Genie for the valet work the day before,its a shame the poor weather spoilt the day,but Stuart still did an amazing job inbetween the rain/hail showers!

Met up with some crazy northerners before heading to the Rally,perfect excuse for some photos

Sadly didn't come home with a trophey,but i don't blame the judges for choosing the Pitcrew and Italia,both cars are works of art and well deserved winners! I know what i need to improve on (annoyingly i knew they were there but couldnt get it all sorted in time due to lack of money) so i'll hopefully be back for the National Rally or the Spring Rally next year.

The car received a big welcome,alot of people seemed to have liked it and was great to speak to so many like minded people :)
hoodedreeper
Regular

Postby hoodedreeper » Fri May 06, 2016 11:13 pm

It doesn't sound like a massive job (or exciting) but i've fitted Electric Windows. The headache was trying to wire up the Mk2.5 switch to the Mk1 loom. With the help from Mazda-Menders,i got it sorted and with a Mk2 switch it works as it should.

My latest purchase was some LED Garage Vary lights from Rev9. Very easy install although i need to sort out the hyperblinking (my fault,i've connected the resistor incorrect)

Also fitted some 6000k LED Number Plate and Reverse bulbs (also got the reverse light working again). I was struggling on ideas on what to do for the rear fog light,so i switched the wiring on the bootlid,and the 3rd brake light is now the Fog light.

Another purchase was some Tyre Stencils. After searching about for a decent paint that is long lasting,i settled for some Rubber Tyre Letters made by Tred Wear

Extremely to fit,degrease the area,key the surface with course sand paper,clean tyre and glue the letters on

Return to “Members Mx-5/ Roadsters”