What you put in, you'll get back ten fold
***** THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO THE SITE AND HELPING YOU,OTHERWISE IT CLOSES AND ALL THIS ON LINE GARAGE IS GONE FOR GOOD*****

Greetings and welcome to menders, this site was built for every owner that might need her to help keep those bills low and also keep them on the road where they belong, she is run by very passionate enthusiasts owners for passionate enthusiastic owners, see her like a on line garage, there is a lot of tech stuff hopefully explained for everyone to use, if there is something you cannot get your head around, or you feel that there is a strong walk through guide missing that needs creating by one of us or from yourselves, please let us know, we are also on false book and youtube, which as short tech vids to help, and again if you feel there is a vid that would help please get it touch.
the menders is free, but like everything there is a cost to run things and bills( we are just happy its not a heating cost), so if we have saved you hundreds, please throw a small donation in the pot so we can keep on going to carry on helping others in the same way .

*** we are currently looking for a sponsor for this year, so if you have the passion and can see this sites worth to everyone , please get in touch and step forward to help***

And thank heavens that we are now on the way back up the brighter ,warmer longer days, "come on summer", and lets see those project builds.

M-m

1996 Uk spec Rebuild (we hope)

A place for members to show off their pride and joy. Also room to document your projects.
John&Luke
Serial Poster

Re: 1996 Uk spec Rebuild (we hope)

Postby John&Luke » Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:15 pm

Stretcher sorted and air powered joggler :)

Bit more progress, taking my time to get it just right. Inner arch rebuilt and solid.

Then cut and joggled my new panel to sit behind existing skin. All coming together nicely.
1996 Mk1 Classic Red 1.6 sorted
1995 Mk 1 White 1.6 in need of TLC
2015 Mk1 1.8 Exocet Mk1 on steroids
John&Luke
Serial Poster

Postby John&Luke » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:25 am

More progress. Finished welding the new arch in place. Took my time to minimise any distortion.

I also fabricated a return lip for the bottom of the the wing and a weep hole by forming a u shaped channel. Then plug welded this onto the inner sill bottom flange. Quite complex but enjoyable. Best explained by a photo.

Spot welded the wheel arch return onto the new inner arch as per the factory finish. Will leave these showing to add that factory look. Only problem was I kept on blowing my extension cable 13 AMP fuse. Found a 6mm bolt works well in place of the fuse :shock:

Then a couple of skims of filler. Ready for a final dry flatting down before priming.

Been a long processes but a real learning curve. I think the best bit has been taking my time to ensure I was happy with the fit before committing to welding. The lower crease aligns well with the door crease. Cant wait for the primer to see what it looks like and how good my flatting down has been. :-D Oh just remembered still got another side to do!
Hope you enjoy the photos and progress.
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:43 am

:bow-yellow: :bow-yellow: :bow-yellow: :bow-yellow: :bow-yellow: :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbup: :coffee:
M-m
The Disclaimer:-
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

Mk 1 Eunos 93 black V.S II 1.8 ,
Mk 2 .1/4 Roadster 99 black & gold V.S 1.8 .
Mk 1 Eunos 90 1.6 soul red ..f/ build
MK 2.1/4 Blue V.S Roadster 1.8 99 ..
MK1 1.8 ,white import.. (Ashleighs)
MK1 1.6 yellow J ltd import.f/build
MK 1 1.8 black Tokyo Ltd..f/build

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
John&Luke
Serial Poster

Postby John&Luke » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:23 pm

Have practised on side one. Turned the 'record' over and got to work on side two.

Inner wing rebuilt and then wing tacked into position.

Learning all the time :-D . Next job to weld all around and then fill and flat back (target end of the month). Wonder if I can get it ready for paint in March :think:
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:46 am

Easy yes,,,get your finger out :wink:
M-m
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
John&Luke
Serial Poster

Postby John&Luke » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:10 pm

So managed to fill and block the second arch today.

I've also DA'd one side to remove the stonechip factory paint. I plan to paint this without stone chip to have a nice gloss finish on the door and wings bottoms below the swage line.
John&Luke
Serial Poster

Postby John&Luke » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:08 am

Doesn't time fly went your having fun?

Anyway by way of an update. This weekend should see the bonnet, boot, front, rear bumpers and both doors hit with primer. These are all flatten back and filled. As these bits can be removed from the car plan is to prep these off the car. Think I'm looking at two separate coats of primer in an attempt to get the best finish I can.

I've also de-stonechiped the door bottoms and wings so I can get a smooth finish in these areas too. As It will be a summer car I don't think this will present to many long term problems?

Anyway couple of photos of the slow process. Learning lots all the time :-)

storm
Site Admin

Postby storm » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:19 am

I love this thread, been following from the start. A real "mender" thread. Keep it up and keep us updated buddy.
1. A car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, 2. Resale wont save your life in an accident, 3. Genius has limits, stupidity has none, 4. Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level & beat you with experience, 5. Growing old beats the alternative -- dying young!
John&Luke
Serial Poster

Postby John&Luke » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:58 pm

Thanks storm,

Anyway, my Misses when to see the latest 50 Shades of Grey film on Saturday - which meant I could do my own version!

Grey is Grey right? Doors, bumper, bonnet, boot and couple of other bits all primed up.

Slowly getting there. Next job is to flat back using 320, re prime and hopefully I will have some nice panels for a base coat.
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:27 am

John&Luke wrote:Thanks storm,

Anyway, my Misses when to see the latest 50 Shades of Grey film on Saturday - which meant I could do my own version!

Grey is Grey right? Doors, bumper, bonnet, boot and couple of other bits all primed up.

Slowly getting there. Next job is to flat back using 320, re prime and hopefully I will have some nice panels for a base coat.

:text-goodpost: :text-coolphotos: :handgestures-thumbup: :coffee:
M-m

John&Luke
Serial Poster

Postby John&Luke » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:37 pm

Little update.

With the doors and wings off I've been 'derusting' where ever possible. Found a two pack epoxy paint at the Classic car show. Applied to the inner wing are and all the typical rust prone ares of the both wings.

Hopefully a bit of added protection.
storm
Site Admin

Postby storm » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:35 pm

You can't just leave us with this, more pics and updates bud.
1. A car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, 2. Resale wont save your life in an accident, 3. Genius has limits, stupidity has none, 4. Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level & beat you with experience, 5. Growing old beats the alternative -- dying young!
John&Luke
Serial Poster

Postby John&Luke » Tue May 02, 2017 10:12 pm

May already. Massively behind schedule!!!
Anyway, second arch and sill is all sorted and primed, couple of small pin holes to sort but otherwise very pleased. Photo below taken before the primer had flashed off so still a bit shiny to try to show the arch shade.

Whilst waiting for the primer to dry I start on modifying the rear bumper. Noticed a really smart mod at the Bristol Rally whereby someone had replaced the OEM rear fog light with one from a RX8. Thought about doing this with my car as I think the OEM rear fog light in my opinion doesn't flow with the lines of the car. But in the end decided to swap out one of the reversing lights and make this my rear fog light. Therefore bonded a ali plate to the inside of the bumper to fill the fog light hole and started the process of filling.
John&Luke
Serial Poster

Postby John&Luke » Wed May 10, 2017 10:10 pm

Wings back on. I want to paint these on the car so the bolt heads get painted at the same time as per factory finish. Front end all prep'd ready for paint.

5ltrs of Classic Red ordered. Going with a direct gloss for a more original finish.

Fingers crossed I can get her into a spray booth next weekend.
John&Luke
Serial Poster

Postby John&Luke » Sun May 21, 2017 11:20 pm

so very slowly getting there.

inner boot lid painted

and underside of the bonnet.