What you put in, you'll get back ten fold
***** THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO THE SITE AND HELPING YOU,OTHERWISE IT CLOSES AND ALL THIS ON LINE GARAGE IS GONE FOR GOOD*****

Greetings and welcome to menders, this site was built for every owner that might need her to help keep those bills low and also keep them on the road where they belong, she is run by very passionate enthusiasts owners for passionate enthusiastic owners, see her like a on line garage, there is a lot of tech stuff hopefully explained for everyone to use, if there is something you cannot get your head around, or you feel that there is a strong walk through guide missing that needs creating by one of us or from yourselves, please let us know, we are also on false book and youtube, which as short tech vids to help, and again if you feel there is a vid that would help please get it touch.
the menders is free, but like everything there is a cost to run things and bills( we are just happy its not a heating cost), so if we have saved you hundreds, please throw a small donation in the pot so we can keep on going to carry on helping others in the same way .

*** we are currently looking for a sponsor for this year, so if you have the passion and can see this sites worth to everyone , please get in touch and step forward to help***

And thank heavens that we are now on the way back up the brighter ,warmer longer days, "come on summer", and lets see those project builds.

M-m

What have you done to your MX5 today/yesterday?

General chat on all things Mx/Roadster
Shadgrind
Serial Poster

Postby Shadgrind » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:03 pm

Today I did my first weld actually sticking two pieces of metal together, any comments, wire too fast?

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkImage
Mk4 Machine Grey 2.0 184BHP, SE-L + Nav and Apple Carplay
blackyb

Re: What have you done to your MX5 today/yesterday?

Postby blackyb » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:57 pm

Do you have a gas or gasless system, hardest job in welding is getting the voltage setting right for the gauge of steel.

No expert but in recent weeks getting a lot better as I am doing more and more welding under the watchful eye of someone who does it so dammed easily, quick and good.
1993 1.6 Eunos Roadster (gone)
1998 UK Mk 2 1.6 (gone)
2003 1.8 SVT Sport (shouldnt have sold it)
1991 1.6 Eunos Roadster with a bit of bling.

Life is a journey, best travelled topless in an MX5!!
zeolite
Regular

Postby zeolite » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:17 am

Got my Dad to drive through 100 miles of Highland roads, including sh*tey farmyards, greasy truck yards,sharney stables and the thick glaur of oak woodland tracks. Of particular mention is the sharp rocks and stones of a new forestry road up a hill in the middle of feckin nowhere.

and we paid for the privilege!
Shadgrind
Serial Poster

Postby Shadgrind » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:09 pm

Today I welded up my rear wing!

My first attempt at actually welding on a car started off by cutting out where the red line is and welded a patch to fill it
Then Cut a strip to go in the remaining gap. And welded it in place.
Sprayed Waxoyl in behind and primer over the front just to stop it rusting before I finish it off.Image

A bit of grinding and a skim of filler and Robert's your mothers brother.
blackyb

Postby blackyb » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:06 pm

Had our first run out of the year in the little girl, started first time, all pressures and temperatures correct so a gentle run out to let her warm up and bed in and fill up with nice clean fuel, then I got a bit carried away with the right boot and left the garage forecourt slightly sideways, well a lot actually, made the old geezer in the Mercedes give me a funny look, all I could do was smile.
1998 UK Mk 2 1.6 (gone)

Jetmech
Just Run In

Postby Jetmech » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:52 am

I have been busy checking out the California prior to taking it for an MOT, also doing those non MOT related jobs that I promised myself would get done over the winter, but didn't!
For the MOT it needed new front tyres and a centre exhaust. The other jobs are purely cosmetic. Cleaning up some rust spots before they become a problem. The front control arms looked very flakey but responded to a rotary wire brush and a coat of Hamerite. The pipe support brackets just looked bad, the other areas were just heavy surface corrosion. The nearside rear arch was similar but now finished, the paint is a terrible match, but it's better than looking at rust!

Simon.
NB California
Shadgrind
Serial Poster

Postby Shadgrind » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:59 am

Finally 'nailed' on my BGW. Image

Filmed by my CCTV IPcam. Image

AndImage

Think it looks better than the one on my old car.

The old one needs a respray anyway.

I've also swapped the side skirts from the old one too. Image

And

The 'halo' effect is caused by my 12x telephoto lens clipped on my iPhone.
Been busy painting all the doors in the house so not had much time

I have to wash the skirts and match the paint I just used 'smart car blue' on one of the skirts, no clear coat!

Have to tell Aviva I have swapped the mods from one car to the other. May cost a bit more but am tarting up the old one for sale. So will gain overall, going to buy an old Nova (Vauxhall not Chevy!) or something to do up and flog next

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Shadgrind
Serial Poster

Postby Shadgrind » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:31 am

I went out for a long drive....

We went out in the car with its new side skirts and wing. Got to put the spare VW Golf splitter on now.

Went to see tho old Roman town of Calleva. GF took pictures of the ruins I got her to take a couple of the car.

And
Jetmech
Just Run In

Postby Jetmech » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:04 pm

MOT success! No advisories.
Will tax it Monday for more MX5 fun.
Simon.
NB California
Shadgrind
Serial Poster

Postby Shadgrind » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:12 am

I am beginning to get the old 5 ready for sale, polished up the virtually black front grille, only to find it was actually chrome Image
Even close up good old drill and mop head plus Solvol and a small globule of elbow grease

Then I thought I would use it as a template to make up a new one. ImageImage

Still to do...

Swap the Lexus lights over to new car. ...and the thing I am dreading... taking the chassis rails, from P5 off the old and on the new one.
vindaloo
Just Run In

Postby vindaloo » Sun May 07, 2017 9:12 pm

Being a complete divot when it comes to attempting anything mildly challenging on my cars, I was feeling brave today and had a go at removing my Bose head unit from my NC1 and replacing it with a more modern Pioneer Double Din. Having assembled all the necessary parts over the last couple of weeks I was staggered to find after a couple of hours of work I managed to cable everything up and fit it to the dash and the biggest surprise of all.....everything works!
I have a replacement steering wheel from Royal Steering Wheels arriving on Tuesday, so whilst on a roll, I removed my airbag and steering wheel ready for the exchange. Stripped everything off the wheel which will be posted back to Royal in exchange. This is another job I've never attempted before and I know in the world of Menders these are but tiny jobs, I still feel chuffed that I managed it all without a hitch.
2019 ND RF GT SPORT NAV + Snowflake/ Auburn
blackyb

Postby blackyb » Fri May 19, 2017 4:19 pm

So after months at looking at this when I cleaned the car.

DSC_0011.JPG
DSC_0011.JPG (655.03 KiB) Viewed 16453 times

DSC_0009.JPG
DSC_0009.JPG (641.35 KiB) Viewed 16453 times

The sliver coating to the inside of the offside unit has started to fail due to water ingress. These were purchased a few years back from MX5 parts at the Pitlochry Spring Rally.

I have today taken these off and refitted the original light clusters. Might look for a replacement clear set but there again I might just stick with the originals.

I have also made the decision to go back to the original Mk1 suspension units, therefore the Mk2 units that I acquired from MM, will either be loitering at the back of the garage just in case or looking for a new home.
1998 UK Mk 2 1.6 (gone)

Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Sun May 21, 2017 11:22 am

Bry if those units are of no use now can i have a play with them please buddy.
The Disclaimer:-
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

Mk 1 Eunos 93 black V.S II 1.8 ,
Mk 2 .1/4 Roadster 99 black & gold V.S 1.8 .
Mk 1 Eunos 90 1.6 soul red ..f/ build
MK 2.1/4 Blue V.S Roadster 1.8 99 ..
MK1 1.8 ,white import.. (Ashleighs)
MK1 1.6 yellow J ltd import.f/build
MK 1 1.8 black Tokyo Ltd..f/build

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
blackyb

Postby blackyb » Sun May 21, 2017 8:39 pm

Don't see why not, I was going to see if I could split the leaky one, re-silver it and reseal it but to be honest, cant be a###d (bothered) old light look just as good for the time being.

Will pop them across one fine day when we get time to visit Mender Land.
1998 UK Mk 2 1.6 (gone)

blackyb

Postby blackyb » Tue May 23, 2017 10:25 pm

Today.

Put her up on the 3 in 1 lift. Swapped out the mk2 suspension by refitting thr original mk1s I took off a while back.

While she was elevated, serviced the brakes and touched up the underseal where required.

Dropped her down for the final tightening and a quick run out, rechecked all fixings.

Tomorrow price up a new set of boots for her and arrange an alignment check.

When funds allow, plan is a full set of Miesters.
1998 UK Mk 2 1.6 (gone)

Return to “Mx/Roadster Chat and Banter”