What you put in, you'll get back ten fold
***** THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO THE SITE AND HELPING YOU,OTHERWISE IT CLOSES AND ALL THIS ON LINE GARAGE IS GONE FOR GOOD*****

Greetings and welcome to menders, this site was built for every owner that might need her to help keep those bills low and also keep them on the road where they belong, she is run by very passionate enthusiasts owners for passionate enthusiastic owners, see her like a on line garage, there is a lot of tech stuff hopefully explained for everyone to use, if there is something you cannot get your head around, or you feel that there is a strong walk through guide missing that needs creating by one of us or from yourselves, please let us know, we are also on false book and youtube, which as short tech vids to help, and again if you feel there is a vid that would help please get it touch.
the menders is free, but like everything there is a cost to run things and bills( we are just happy its not a heating cost), so if we have saved you hundreds, please throw a small donation in the pot so we can keep on going to carry on helping others in the same way .

*** we are currently looking for a sponsor for this year, so if you have the passion and can see this sites worth to everyone , please get in touch and step forward to help***

And thank heavens that we are now on the way back up the brighter ,warmer longer days, "come on summer", and lets see those project builds.

M-m

1995 G-Limited ***RESTORATION***Rebuild

A place for members to show off their pride and joy. Also room to document your projects.
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Re: 1995 G-Limited ***RESTORATION***Rebuild by OCD Tom

Postby Mazda Mender » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:53 am

:text-coolphotos:
I have changed the title to read correct :wink:

:coffee:
M-m
The Disclaimer:-
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

Mk 1 Eunos 93 black V.S II 1.8 ,
Mk 2 .1/4 Roadster 99 black & gold V.S 1.8 .
Mk 1 Eunos 90 1.6 soul red ..f/ build
MK 2.1/4 Blue V.S Roadster 1.8 99 ..
MK1 1.8 ,white import.. (Ashleighs)
MK1 1.6 yellow J ltd import.f/build
MK 1 1.8 black Tokyo Ltd..f/build

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
Lumphammer

Re: 1995 G-Limited ***RESTORATION***Rebuild

Postby Lumphammer » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:41 pm

You are such a gentleman - I have put it back :teasing-neener:
John&Luke
Serial Poster

Postby John&Luke » Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:01 am

LoL love it.
1996 Mk1 Classic Red 1.6 sorted
1995 Mk 1 White 1.6 in need of TLC
2015 Mk1 1.8 Exocet Mk1 on steroids
Lumphammer

Postby Lumphammer » Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:59 pm

I need a manifold pressure feed to the fuel pressure regulator and another to the ME442 ECU. There are existing points after the throttle body you can use but I think i'd need a T piece and they're the wrong end so made two connectors from some brass hex threaded M5 and tapped a flat region of the square top's plenum next to the feed for cylinder four

ports.jpg
ports.jpg (408.23 KiB) Viewed 9880 times

Made them flush on the inside so hopefully it won't experience too much error from venturi - that was my logic anyway, dunno...

ports_inside.jpg
ports_inside.jpg (352.12 KiB) Viewed 9880 times

The throttle body that came with the engine wasn't in great shape, corroded and the bearings were a bit gritty. Bought one of these off of eBay - they have mixed reviews, some people don't like them because the build quality is allegedly poor and apparently it's a rip-off of a Skunk2.

throttle_body.jpg
throttle_body.jpg (457.41 KiB) Viewed 9880 times

I don't know about it being a rip off, I don't have one to compare and this seems to be a pretty basic throttle body. Build quality arguments are justified, the machining isn't bad but the finishing is pretty poor. I spent an hour or so deburring it, the most sketchy thing about it are the two screws retaining the butterfly. Mine weren't loose but they were nothing but hand tight, given it's a critical failure point they should have been threadlocked or peened over - but then that would have stopped me taking it apart fully to clean and finish properly... I've deburred it and will be using loctite 270 (permanent) on the screws. As long as it's not considered a finished product then I think it's alright.

As it's 64mm v's 54mm for a standard throttle body there is a 2-3mm lip onto the square top plenum

overlap_1.jpg
overlap_1.jpg (350.58 KiB) Viewed 9880 times

overlap_2.jpg
overlap_2.jpg (375.39 KiB) Viewed 9880 times

I smoothed it in using a die grinder with a carbide and then some 80 grit rolls

matched.jpg
matched.jpg (338.37 KiB) Viewed 9880 times

Will finish it off properly with some paper by hand
Lumphammer

Postby Lumphammer » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:15 pm

Put the baffles back in the cam cover, used loctite 5980 and loctite 243 on the screws

no_baffles.jpg
no_baffles.jpg (484.45 KiB) Viewed 9840 times

baffles.jpg
baffles.jpg (421.13 KiB) Viewed 9840 times

Got a few bits back on the engine, new waterpump and timing belt etc

engine.jpg
engine.jpg (471.09 KiB) Viewed 9840 times
Lumphammer

Postby Lumphammer » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:41 pm

Found another problem that the new throttle body adapter plate for the NB idle control valve fouls on the face of the plenum, should be flush with the face of the throttle body. It's only minor but they should have though of it.

new_tb_foul.jpg
new_tb_foul.jpg (354.64 KiB) Viewed 9722 times

milled about 2mm off the edge

new_tb_clear.jpg
new_tb_clear.jpg (337.96 KiB) Viewed 9722 times

The fixings are best thrown in the bin, all the screws are either wrong or unsuitable. Hey ho.. :lol:

Put new core plugs back in the manifolds resonator chamber. I took them out to clean out any debris

core_plugs.jpg
core_plugs.jpg (416.97 KiB) Viewed 9722 times

Made a couple of blanking plates from 6mm alu for the EGR, cut some 2mm nitrile sheet for a gasket

block_egr.jpg
block_egr.jpg (403.13 KiB) Viewed 9722 times

Fuel rail is tight but fits. Wiring the injectors will be fiddly

fuel_rail_clearence.jpg
fuel_rail_clearence.jpg (345.27 KiB) Viewed 9722 times

The engine is mostly back together. Need to tighten some things up and fit the rear main seal when it's off the stand

engine_right.jpg
engine_right.jpg (486.9 KiB) Viewed 9722 times

engine_left.jpg
engine_left.jpg (423.34 KiB) Viewed 9722 times

engine_top.jpg
engine_top.jpg (413.93 KiB) Viewed 9722 times

I swapped the oil pressure gauge out in the cluster to an early type so will be fitting the old type oil pressure sensor to get a real reading
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:23 pm

:handgestures-thumbup: :coffee:
M-m
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
Lumphammer

Postby Lumphammer » Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:58 pm

Made a start to the wiring of the engine, I decided to keep the majority of the MK1 loom upto the engine and make the VVT engine "fit" with it as best I can

I've separated the MK1 injector / coil pack looms which is just removing tape as they are electrically separate

For the Injector loom which also has the 2-pin ECU temperature sensor and 1-wire dash temperature sensor I swapped the injector connector housings for the VVT housings as one of mine was smashed and they key onto the fuel rail to stop rotation. The 2-pin water sensor housing is bust, i'll get another one at some point.

vvt_wiring_0.jpg
vvt_wiring_0.jpg (460.18 KiB) Viewed 9667 times

I made a little bracket to hold the connectors for the injectors and coil packs out of alu. I'm going to do another one on the other side to hold the CAS sensor rewired to have CAS and crank on the original connector. I'm going to try and keep the original connectors as much as possible

vvt_wiring_1.jpg
vvt_wiring_1.jpg (478.1 KiB) Viewed 9667 times

The coil packs are a bit more involved, I soldered the MK1 loom to the VVT COP loom with chopped off pigtails. I ran the ground from the connector to the normal ground the VVT coils use and then back up to the coils with the EMC reduction capacitor soldered between the 12v feed ground. The internet has many opinions about this but IMHO it's just a bypass capacitor (250v 0.47uF) to reduce the noise on the rails from the coils firing. I put it in because it seemed sensible.

vvt_wiring_2.jpg
vvt_wiring_2.jpg (485.18 KiB) Viewed 9667 times

I'm going to put the VVT actuator connector on the second bracket next to the CAS / crank connector, will have a go at that tomorrow.

Sorry if it looks a bit ghetto, I'm working it out as I go along :lol:
Lumphammer

Postby Lumphammer » Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:01 pm

I decided to re-do all the engine loom with new connectors and wire. There were some connectors I couldn't buy easily in the UK (Sumitomo SL series) so i substituted some with DL series (coil packs) and the one for the VVT actuator I couldn't buy or substitute so i de-pinned the existing and remade it with new pins.

I've not touched the existing MK1 main loom, I made all changes on the VVT loom / injector loom so hypothetically a MK1 engine would fit straight back in.

I found the following thread very useful:

https://www.miataturbo.net/electronics- ... 034/page4/

This is what I used or substituted for putting a VVT engine into a '95 MK1 1.8:

Connector to MK1 CAS connector 4-pin
Sumitomo 6195-0030 "Male Coupling"

VVT crankshaft Sensor 3-pin
Sumitomo 6195-0012

VVT camshaft position sensor 3-pin
Yazaki 7283-9730-30

VVT actuator 2-pin
Sumitomo 6189-0642 (SL part, I couldn't find new so repinned with female pins beneath)

VVT Coil-on-plug coil packs
Sumitomo 6189-0638 (SL part, I couldn't find new so replaced with - Sumitomo 6195-0009)

MK1 Water Temperature sensor (mine was bust)
TE Connectivity (formerly Amphenol) 184006-1

VVT Injectors (MK1 are the same):
Sumitomo 6189-0651

Terminals for re-pinning salvaged connectors
Sumitomo 8100-1427 (female)
Sumitomo 8230-4472 (male - weren't need in hindsight)

I also added another part so the VVT connector added to the MK1 could be unplugged like the others, these are a simple 2-pin plug
Sumitomo 6195-0003 / Sumitomo 6195-0006

I bought the parts from:

https://www.auto-click.co.uk/

First time I've used them but I ordered on the Sunday and they arrived on the Friday, which given the current situation is fair. Most of the connectors are around £2 each, some a bit cheaper some a bit more and they come with pins and the rubber bungs.

I bought a cheap M or W shape crimper off of eBay for £13, says it was for Delphi Weatherpack connectors but it works on the Sumitomo's I pull tested each crimp. Not the nicest tool but good enough.

This is what I've made, it took ages, wiring is very fiddly and motivation is low at the moment. Need to tie down a few bits but it's mostly there

front_top.jpg
front_top.jpg (409.91 KiB) Viewed 9590 times

rear_top.jpg
rear_top.jpg (440.77 KiB) Viewed 9590 times

I've taken the +12v feed for the VVT actuator from the injector loom, the CAM and CAS from the VVT engine are put through the existing MK1 CAS loom which is 4-pin. All the connectors are on a bracket so it should look clean in the car and not a birds nest of wires. Need to paint the bracket, probably silver.

connectors.jpg
connectors.jpg (440.76 KiB) Viewed 9590 times

Apart from that I made some oil seal fitting tools on the lathe, one for the diff side seals (I made it a touch wide so it can also do the gearbox rear seal) and a rear main oil seal. I replaced a rear main seal once before the hard way and the tool will make a lot better. They're just made from oil filled nylon. If anyone cares the 6 flywheel bolts are on a 65mm PCD.

oil_seal_tools.jpg
oil_seal_tools.jpg (296.01 KiB) Viewed 9590 times

I bought a lightweight flywheel, might drive me mad but will be interesting to try. Should arrive soon then the engine can go in.
blackyb

Postby blackyb » Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:35 pm

Cracking work, as for motivation, I dont think you need much more than being told there is an end in sight and I cant wait to read the rest of the build.
1993 1.6 Eunos Roadster (gone)
1998 UK Mk 2 1.6 (gone)
2003 1.8 SVT Sport (shouldnt have sold it)
1991 1.6 Eunos Roadster with a bit of bling.

Life is a journey, best travelled topless in an MX5!!
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:58 pm

I feel your pain on the motivation side, i am off ill and even if i wanted to a can't, frustrating and boredom is setting in big time , hit it when you can Tom, if you need a boot up the bot, we are all here to offer our services buddy.
M-m :handgestures-thumbup: :coffee: :-D

Zed.
Just Run In

Postby Zed. » Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:36 am

Lumphammer wrote:If anyone cares the 6 flywheel bolts are on a 65mm PCD

thats useful info (I care :bow-yellow: )

:text-goodpost:

guess I'll have something else to make now :laughing-rolling:

Rich.
Saw it, wanted it, threw a tantrum.............
Got IT :dance:

50-shades of silver...
https://mighty5s.com/thread/2681/50-sha ... r-na-eunos
Lumphammer

Postby Lumphammer » Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:19 pm

Done some work getting the ECU in. Needed to get a plenum pressure reference, control for the VVT actuator (as it's not part of the NA loom) and the wideband O2 sensor. Used the A/C holes and made a couple of grommets for them.

First one has the VVT and pressure reference, I added third hole "for future use". The second is just for the 02 sensor.

big_gland.jpg
big_gland.jpg (447.29 KiB) Viewed 9195 times

small_gland.jpg
small_gland.jpg (244.05 KiB) Viewed 9195 times

They come through like this, only had the bigger one in at the time but they fit nice. I'm using this 10mm corrugated tubing I bought along with the connectors, it's really useful and does a neat job

big_gland_routing.jpg
big_gland_routing.jpg (546.12 KiB) Viewed 9195 times

With both in and a bit of bracketry and stuff

both_glands.jpg
both_glands.jpg (418.5 KiB) Viewed 9195 times

The ECU is a plug and play ME442, it goes into the existing case in place of the original. I found that there needs to be a 3mm spacer on one corner else the whole thing sits on the p***. The Mazda ECU has a height difference because of a heatsink tab. Small bit of Alu fixes it

standoff.jpg
standoff.jpg (340.02 KiB) Viewed 9195 times

On the ECU to control the VVT you need to use the auxiliary connector which is a Molex Mini-Fit. Trouble is that with the ECU lid on the mating half alone stands proud.

protrusion.jpg
protrusion.jpg (389.69 KiB) Viewed 9195 times

I think most people get around this by cutting a hole in the lid and have it coming out vertically but I didn't want to do that so I made an alu can so the cable(s) can route back inside

power_bulge.jpg
power_bulge.jpg (288.75 KiB) Viewed 9195 times

Other modification is for the USB connection on the ME442, I think this should be re-orientated as there's no possibility to plug in the supplied cable when the board is mounted in the case

USB_fail.jpg
USB_fail.jpg (386.67 KiB) Viewed 9195 times

Put in some glands for the various things. I slotted the gland for the O2 sensor so the ECU can still be relatively easily removed from the car.

slotted_o2.jpg
slotted_o2.jpg (350.7 KiB) Viewed 9195 times

Looks a bit weird with the big alu hump but it works to route the cables better. No one will see it anyway

ecu.jpg
ecu.jpg (354.05 KiB) Viewed 9195 times

In the car, it looks alright - had to take the dash out again to do the above - pita job! :lol:

wired_ecu.jpg
wired_ecu.jpg (508.41 KiB) Viewed 9195 times

Other than that, made a handle for the dipstick - it came either snapped or chopped off

dipstick.jpg
dipstick.jpg (361.54 KiB) Viewed 9195 times
Lumphammer

Postby Lumphammer » Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:45 pm

Made some brackets to support oil heater / cooler hose. Normally they are supported by the throttle body which has a water feed to prevent icing in cold weather. The new throttle body doesn't have a water feed so the two pipes joined together are very flappy and would probably get eaten by the alternator belt. Made a coupler from brass, don't have a bead roller so machined it from some bar

joiner.jpg
joiner.jpg (415.71 KiB) Viewed 9081 times

Cables fastened down and engine pretty much ready to come off the stand

engine_go_in.jpg
engine_go_in.jpg (434.74 KiB) Viewed 9081 times

Made a crank locking tool, always done it before by getting someone to ride the brake with the handbrake on while in 5th

crank_locking_tool.jpg
crank_locking_tool.jpg (307.06 KiB) Viewed 9081 times

Took the engine off the stand and rested it on a bit of wood to do the rear main seal, flywheel and clutch. Tool works good, only needed two bolts and the seal wound straight in good

rear_main_tool.jpg
rear_main_tool.jpg (389.66 KiB) Viewed 9081 times

Exedy lightweight flywheel. Got the old bolts clean, wiped with alcohol and then loctite blue on the threads

lw_fly.jpg
lw_fly.jpg (361.21 KiB) Viewed 9081 times

New ZF sachs clutch and pressure plate. Not particularly fond of this alinment tool, it worked OK but the fitmet in the spigot bearing was like a hotdog in a hallway.

pressure_plate.jpg
pressure_plate.jpg (408.16 KiB) Viewed 9081 times

Picture for nostalgia, another part that no one will see :-D

bye_bye_engine.jpg
bye_bye_engine.jpg (407.68 KiB) Viewed 9081 times

engine_going_in.jpg
engine_going_in.jpg (547.34 KiB) Viewed 9081 times

And then the miserable process of getting the gearbox on, about a day of lying on my back. At least there's no rust falling in my eyes with this one!! I made a makeshift transmission trolley plate for the jack, this was incredibly useful

trans_trolley.jpg
trans_trolley.jpg (519.71 KiB) Viewed 9081 times

I found the best way to do this in the confined space was to put the gearbox in, support it at a slightly jaunty angle and then slowly and carefully bring the engine into alignment using the crane

finish_01.jpg
finish_01.jpg (441.24 KiB) Viewed 9081 times

finish_02.jpg
finish_02.jpg (443.87 KiB) Viewed 9081 times

finish_03.jpg
finish_03.jpg (516.52 KiB) Viewed 9081 times

Unfortunately when putting the neutral switch back into the 6-speed the switch sheared off with very little pressure. I think it's just bad design, cast steel thread of M16 x 1.5mm with a 12.25mm internal bore for the ball bearing plunger. Wall thickness of absoloutely f*** all. So I'm off to go hunting for a replacement

Need to read up on how to align the gearbox and diff too, but the drivetrain is back in - mostly! :-D
Lumphammer

Postby Lumphammer » Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:47 pm

Wayne, you have another part added to the box - some idiot machined an alu knob for a dipstick belonging to an engine that no longer exists.. :roll:

Return to “Members Mx-5/ Roadsters”