What you put in, you'll get back ten fold
***** THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO THE SITE AND HELPING YOU,OTHERWISE IT CLOSES AND ALL THIS ON LINE GARAGE IS GONE FOR GOOD*****

Greetings and welcome to menders, this site was built for every owner that might need her to help keep those bills low and also keep them on the road where they belong, she is run by very passionate enthusiasts owners for passionate enthusiastic owners, see her like a on line garage, there is a lot of tech stuff hopefully explained for everyone to use, if there is something you cannot get your head around, or you feel that there is a strong walk through guide missing that needs creating by one of us or from yourselves, please let us know, we are also on false book and youtube, which as short tech vids to help, and again if you feel there is a vid that would help please get it touch.
the menders is free, but like everything there is a cost to run things and bills( we are just happy its not a heating cost), so if we have saved you hundreds, please throw a small donation in the pot so we can keep on going to carry on helping others in the same way .

*** we are currently looking for a sponsor for this year, so if you have the passion and can see this sites worth to everyone , please get in touch and step forward to help***

And thank heavens that we are now on the way back up the brighter ,warmer longer days, "come on summer", and lets see those project builds.

M-m

Mk1 LED Headlight problem

Got a problem, need some advice ?
Get in here and ask the pros. There will always be one to bring you the correct answer, quickly.
Please bare in mind advice offered by some may not be correct. Pay attention to user ratings and status for a better idea on their knowledge.
John&Luke
Serial Poster

Mk1 LED Headlight problem

Postby John&Luke » Mon May 17, 2021 10:46 pm

Hi All, posting this as it might prove helpful to someone and it really bugged me so now I have fixed it felt the need to share.

The car - 95 UK spec NA
Problem - headlights raising when turning ignition on (run position), lights not on, turn ignition off headlights go down.
Background, loom completely removed for my rebuild, replacement dash fitted (albeit with the original loom fitted). Replacement LED headlights fitted.

So it’s pretty obvious that I have introduced the fault. So I started by trying to reverse my steps to isolation the problem. First thing, disconnect the LED headlights - unfortunately no change headlights still raise when ignition to run position and down when turned off.
Faulty headlight stalk maybe? Swapped out for a spare - no change
Faulty retractor relay maybe? Swapped out for a spare - no change
Faulty headlight relay maybe? Swapped out for a spare - no change
Faulty headlight dip/dim resistor maybe? Swapped out for a spare - no change
Faulty headlight hazard switch maybe? Swapped out for a spare - no change

Starting to get very tedious. So compared the readings I was get on this car to another UK spec car. The key difference being I’m seeing a positive current on the headlight feed wire at the retractor relay and headlight relay (red white wire) when ignition is turned on - see below the good reference car readings on the left.
23D8FA8D-FA2D-498C-8172-61E7F2133F67.jpeg
23D8FA8D-FA2D-498C-8172-61E7F2133F67.jpeg (76.77 KiB) Viewed 2216 times

Sorry it’s not a better picture. So what is causing the headlight feed to go hot when the ignition is turned on????? Have a nicked a wire when refitting the loom. So dash out and start to inspect the loom. As we know Mazda had a habit of splicing wires together. The red wire wire goes from the retractor relay to the rhs headlight (note disconnected) is sliced to the main beam indicator light on the dash, sliced again into two wires, one to the headlight relay under the bonnet and one to the other headlight (disconnected) impossible to be getting a feed!!!!

But that is the only difference between the two cars. Don’t know why but I decided to just connect up one of the old headlights and guess what? Problem sorted :-D :-D :-D

But why/how. Just to prove the point I disconnected both headlights on my reference car and low and behold the headlights come up when ignition is turned on.

So what I believe is happening is the clever Mazda folk have used the headlight wire as a ‘reference earth’ which is feed through the bulb. No headlight No earth. And in the case if the LED’s because they are a diode, current can only travel one way so again no earth seen.

It’s clever but bizarre in my mind, why configure the system this way??? Anyway all being put back together now. And I have a pair of LED headlights going cheap :laughing-rolling:

Welcome any thoughts or comments - not my finest hour perhaps :oops:
1996 Mk1 Classic Red 1.6 sorted
1995 Mk 1 White 1.6 in need of TLC
2015 Mk1 1.8 Exocet Mk1 on steroids
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Re: Mk1 LED Headlight problem

Postby Mazda Mender » Tue May 18, 2021 5:59 am

Can you not just fit an earth in line, is she a UK spec or JDM, and what was the tester roaster.
M-m
The Disclaimer:-
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

Mk 1 Eunos 93 black V.S II 1.8 ,
Mk 2 .1/4 Roadster 99 black & gold V.S 1.8 .
Mk 1 Eunos 90 1.6 soul red ..f/ build
MK 2.1/4 Blue V.S Roadster 1.8 99 ..
MK1 1.8 ,white import.. (Ashleighs)
MK1 1.6 yellow J ltd import.f/build
MK 1 1.8 black Tokyo Ltd..f/build

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
John&Luke
Serial Poster

Postby John&Luke » Tue May 18, 2021 7:03 pm

MM both are uk spec cars.

To prove my theory I removed the headlight connections from the reference car and the headlights when up just like the problem car.

The more I think about it the cleverer it is. Because the absence of the earth ie any power to the bulbs lifted the headlights.

If anyone has a part assembled NA that they can remove both headlight connectors from the bulbs, I would be interested to see what happens.
Mazda Mender
Site Admin

Postby Mazda Mender » Tue May 18, 2021 9:05 pm

Are they both th UK spec with the toast rack dim dip system fitted?, Would you like me to have a play with them?
M-m
The Disclaimer:-
This post is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects, the articles/answers/comments are provided for information purposes and they are not intended to substitute informed professional advice, I or mazdamenders.net cannot personally be hold responsible for any damage occurred from following this procedure or any injuries from it. Proceed at your own risk.

Mk 1 Eunos 93 black V.S II 1.8 ,
Mk 2 .1/4 Roadster 99 black & gold V.S 1.8 .
Mk 1 Eunos 90 1.6 soul red ..f/ build
MK 2.1/4 Blue V.S Roadster 1.8 99 ..
MK1 1.8 ,white import.. (Ashleighs)
MK1 1.6 yellow J ltd import.f/build
MK 1 1.8 black Tokyo Ltd..f/build

http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/ http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/ http://miata.net/ http://www.autolinkuk.co.uk/
John&Luke
Serial Poster

Postby John&Luke » Wed May 19, 2021 3:15 pm

Yes they are. But as I say believe I have it all sorted - thanks for the offer tho.

Return to “Problems”